I LOVE French onion soup! Maybe it’s the massive amounts of onion or the melted cheese or the bread, it all comes together to make one delicious dish. Unfortunately being a vegetarian I cannot have it when we go out. I have yet to find a vegetarian French onion soup at a restaurant so I had to make up my own recipe.
- 4-5 onions sliced
- Veggie stock/broth (or a packet to add to water)
- Onion soup mix
- Butter (about ¼ c)
- Swiss cheese
- Slice all the onions and put in a crockpot on high with the butter. Let it cook for a few hours until caramelized (usually about 2-3 hours).
- Once onions are caramelized add in the onion soup mix and veggie broth. I try to fill most of the crockpot, so usually about 4-6 cups of broth. Let this simmer for as many hours as you can. The longer it simmers the more flavourful the broth. You can do this all after lunch, but it won't taste as good. Better to start in the morning if you can.
- Turn the oven on broil to heat up.
- When it's dinnertime slice some swiss cheese and baguette, place a few pieces of both in a bowl, pour some soup overtop and place it in the oven so it can melt/brown for about 5-10 minutes.
- Use oven mitts to get the bowl out and place on a plate so it does not burn your table.
- Enjoy your delicious Vegetarian French Onion Soup!
Nothing more comforting than Vegetarian French Onion Soup on a cool day. Click To Tweet
Check out my Vegetarian group boards for more amazing recipes.
Follow Raising Fairies and Knights’s board Vegetarian Yummys on Pinterest.