Being a mom is really challenging. Everyone says it is the hardest job they have ever or will ever do and they are not wrong. You have to be on your game and ready for anything at all hours of the day, frequently with practically no sleep for days, weeks, months (sometimes even years) on end and still be able to function, have fun with your kids (because they do not care how tired you are), deal with cranky babies, toddler tantrums, working, and whatever else the world throws at you. It’s enough to make anyone go insane! So how do you not?? Every mom has their vices so I thought I would share with you some of mine!
- Starbucks, I think my soy mocha lattes and soy mocha frappachino’s keep me awake and sane a lot of day’s. They have drive through so I can get it with 2 kids in the car, even if one is asleep, it makes me feel like I am getting a treat, gives me a caffeine boost (I can even get a soy mocha with an extra espresso shot), but finally it makes me happy! If I am up before 6:00 am I allow myself to get a drink guilt-free as mama needs to function, and still work during the day!
- Get outside, a change of scenery on a bad day is essential. Maybe the kids will exhaust themselves playing and nap longer.
- Interact with another adult, ideally a friend to chat and have fun with but even a sales clerk in the store can make you feel better.
- Exercise, pack the kids in the stroller/carrier and go for a walk. The fresh air will make you feel better and the exercise will make you feel like you accomplished something.
- Do something fun with the kids. Do a craft, cuddle on the couch, read a book together, bake, dance around to fun music.
- Read a good book, or for me as I have no time to read I listen to a good audiobook while I drive, fall asleep, breastfeed, cook, etc.
- Get take out or order in when you need it, no time for groceries? cranky children? Been up since 5 am and too tired to think straight? Order in a pizza or even better keep a couple of frozen ones on hand for emergencies like this.
- Make quality time with hubby and a date night when possible, even in the house. Get take out from your favourite restaurant, play a board game or snuggle on the couch and watch a movie once the kids are in bed.
- I love Stars & Strollers. Going on a date with baby is a great way to relax and feel like you got a break for an hour or two. I loved going with my daughter but it’s harder to go with my son since she can’t come. I got my mom to watch her once so Po and I could have our first mommy son date and see Pitch Perfect 2.
- Get a cleaning lady! I have a lot on my plate and cleaning on a daily basis can be challenging enough. With a cleaning lady there are less arguments about messes and who cleans what, everyone feels better in a clean house and even more so when you don’t have to clean it yourself!
What are your vices? What are your tips and tricks to stay sane, please comment below and give me more ideas!
Updated May 2016