I love trying out breakfasts in different countries. It’s nice to have something more filling than toast, cereal, or oatmeal. As a vegetarian we need to have protein, especially when we will be going all day. One of my favourites was Vegetarian Gallo Pinto, which I had with my dad in the morning for breakfasts in Costa Rica. My dad and I went on kayaking trips together and when you spend 4-8 hours a day paddling on a river you NEED to have a good breakfast to give you the energy to tackle the day.
Try out this amazing #costarican #vegetarian breakfast. #GalloPinto is full of #protein Click To Tweet
Perfect breakfast for traveling!
This is a super easy breakfast to make, it is even delicious for lunches and dinners. It requires mostly ingredients you probably already have on hand. For non-meat eaters protein is always a consideration so luckily Vegetarian Gallo Pinto has lots of protein for anyone to eat. My kids also loved eating this from a very early age as it is baby and toddler friendly.
What’s your favourite breakfast memory from your travels? Where were you and what was it?
Where to start:
Vegetarian Gallo Pinto
Recipe Type: Vegetarian
Cuisine: Costa Rican
- Diced Onion
- Finely Diced Jalapeno (or regular pepper)
- Olive Oil
- Cooked Rice
- Black Beans
- Shredded Cheese
- Poached Eggs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Set your rice to cook (microwave or stove depending on your preference).
- Boil water for poaching your eggs.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan (even as large as a stir fry pan or wok). Cook olive oil until translucent, add jalapeno to cook for another 3 minutes. Add black beans and cook for another five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once rice is cooked add to the bean mixture. Cook for a few more minutes and stir well to combine.
- When water is boiling poach eggs (usually 2-3 minutes in boiling water for me).
- For serving, add a scoop of rice and beans mixture to each plate, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top and finish with a poached egg.
- Voila! Enjoy your amazingly filling Costa Rican breakfast!
If you like this recipe for Vegetarian Gallo Pinto make sure you are following this board to hook you up with other amazing vegetarian recipes.