How many times does it happen that you have little to no warning that you have to go somewhere and keep the kids busy and quiet for a prolonged period of time. Usually a walk-in clinic, doctor’s office, go to the ER, etc. This is why you need to be organized and Pack a Busy Bag for Medical Appointments in advance.
I cannot tell you the number of times I have to grab the kids and go to the walk-in for step tests, ER for minor injuries, etc. The last thing I want to think of when running out the door to take my sick or injured baby to the doctor is what I need to pack and bring with me to keep them entertained. Even with an appointment we are at our doctors office for usually almost two hours. A walk in clinic two to three hours. The Emergency Room (even if considered high priority) three to eight hours. Sometimes you really need to be prepared to keep your kids busy for a prolonged period of time. But not just the doctor’s office, restaurants, shopping, non-kid houses, there are tons of places you may go where it can be helpful to have a dedicated bag full of kids activities they can use.
Here are some items I like to Pack in my Busy Bag for Medical Appointments to keep my kids busy at the Doctors office:
- Grab & Go bags – I find them at the cash at Micheal’s, for a dollar, this is an AMAZING find. Even just to throw in your purse. A mini colouring book, crayons, and stickers. These are perfect to keep kids busy.
- Books – New-to-them books, or books they don’t read often. Pick thin paper books so it isn’t as heavy or takes up a lot of room. They are great to read quietly in the waiting room to kids, or in the examining room while waiting for the doctor or between medical tests. Bring a bunch.
- Flash Cards – Great to go through with kids and start conversations.
- Brain Quests – They have tons starting at 2-3 years old. Great to keep kids busy and interactive to do with the kids as you sit trying to keep them entertained.
- Snacks – try to keep it peanut free as you never know what kind of regulations there will be, raisins, fruit pouches, crackers, juice boxes, water bottles, etc. Don’t forget to pack some snacks for yourself. Try not to bring items that squish easily.
- Grab a tablet and chargers as you run out the door, once your busy bag fails, take a break and let them watch Netlflix or play games on your tablet. Plus, especially in the Emergency Room your phone will die, bring a charger!
- A book or magazines for you, you will get bored too, bring some stuff to entertain yourself with as well.
What to pack it in?
- Cinch Sac – I love this bag, it’s a Cinch Sac by Thirty-One Gifts, we have a bunch we use for different purposes, but I keep this purple one by the door with stuff for a quick visit to the doctors or anywhere else we may have to go. You can check them out HERE to get one.
Use a #cinchsac to get set for unexpected outings with kids #busybags #kidsappointments Click To Tweet
What would you Pack in a Busy Bag for Medical Appointments? Where else would you use one of these bags?
How do you keep your children busy in the doctors office or restaurants?
I made a bag for kids to use in restaurants check it out below: