This month for the Monthly Crafting Book Club we are focusing on The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. I always love pairing fun activities with a book to help encourage my kids love of reading. We love focusing on a new book each month and doing something fun with it then reading the book together. This month we did The Hungry Caterpillar: Craft & Counting Activity, a combination of a fun craft, and a learning activity to do along with the book.
- Egg Carton
- Paint: green, red
- Pom Poms
- Pipe Cleaner
- The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Supplies: knife, paint brushes & tray, sharpie
How to Put it Together:
- Cut the egg carton in half before you wrangle the kids.
- Give each child a tray of green paint and let them go nuts painting the inside and outside of their egg carton green.
- Help them (or instruct depending on the age) to paint the first cup in and out red.
- Let dry.
- Poke holes in the red cup for antenna, cut a piece of pipe cleaner and fold in half. Put it through the antenna holes.
- Optional: Write the days of the week on each egg carton.
- Collect some pom poms and The Hungry Caterpillar book.
- As you read the book with them have them drop a pom pom in each container to correspond with the right food. You will need to double up on one day!
I enlisted my mother’s help to read the book while I helped the kids count their pom poms and put them in the egg cups. My four-year-old did amazing at it. She had no issues doing it and even colour coordinated the pom poms to match the food colour. My two-year-old just had fun putting pom poms in egg cups. Either way we enjoyed the story, craft, and activity.Come check out this #hungrycaterpillar #craft and #counting activity. #monthlycraftingbookclub Click To Tweet
Check out the rest of the bloggers crafts for the Monthly Crafting Book Club for April:
Monthly Crafting Book Club for May
Interested in joining us next month? Join the Facebook group for updates HERE and feel free to participate whenever you can.
Next month we are doing Camping Themed books. Are there any books you would like to see us do? Let me know in the comments below.
Have you seen the other great crafts from this year:
January –Ladybug Girl Wings
February – Giraffe’s Can’t Dance Craft
March – How do Dinosaurs
April – The Hungry Caterpillar