For this month we decided to focus on Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, a personal favourite of my children. I really wanted a craft activity where they could make the monkeys jump, originally I thought of popsicle sticks, but according to Pinterest everyone else agrees too, apparently.
- Small box
- Construction paper in a few colours
- Scissors, glue, tape, markers
- 5 monkey toys, puzzle pieces, game pieces, etc.
- Choose a colour of construction paper and tape it all around the box so it is covered. This job is for the adult or older child.
- Cut out a paper to be the “bed” and two little pillows.
- Have child help glue pillow on the bed then decorate them.
- Glue the bed inside the box.
- Optional, decorate the outside of the box.
Now for the fun part, read the book or sing the song and shake the box so the monkeys jump up and down, then remove a monkey at each verse and continue the song/story until all the monkeys are on the floor.
Time to #dance and #shake with the #fivelittlemonkeys Click To Tweet
I loved doing this with my daughter, shaking things roughly is kind of a forte of a three year old so this is perfect for her. I was startled when at the line “one fell off” she immediately took out a monkey and placed him on the floor unprompted. I have caught her a few times doing in on her own she loved it so much. She jumps up and down while shaking it so it is great exercise too.
If you are a fan of the Five Little Monkey book Series by Eileen Christelow then check out this site for bonus sheets to print out for games, activities, and crafts.Click To Tweet
Please check out the awesome blogs below and their crazy Five Monkey crafts: