Time to celebrate with a delicious cupcake!
It was my birthday last week so I made some delicious cupcakes. Vanilla is my favourite flavour, and I love chai as well so why not combine the two? I like mini cupcakes as my toddler will decide she NEEDS a cupcake if she sees it so I like the smaller ones as she will eat less then. The best part about these cupcakes is how light and airy they are. I have always loved cupcakes, but while pregnant with my first I CRAVED cupcakes so bad!
Supplies & Method
- 2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ cup coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp. chai spice mix
- 1¼ cups plain flour, sifted
- ½ cup buttermilk (or ½ c whatever milk and 1 tbsp. of vinegar)
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- chai spice mix (whatever is left)
- 1 Tbsp. cold milk, to thin out icing if desired
- First mix all the spices together to make the Chai Spice Mix. Set it aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Fill a mini muffin pan with liners.
- Mix together butter and sugar. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time then stir in 2 tsp of chai spices. Mix together the baking soda and cider vinegar in a separate bowl, let it sit a few minutes while you fold in flour and buttermilk, mixing it in batches, add the vinegar/soda mixture last.
- Spoon into mini muffin pan, I found about ⅛ cup fit well. Bake at 12-17 minutes (depending on pan and oven) until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before icing.
- To make the buttercream icing, combine butter, vanilla, and the remainder of the chai spices in a mixer until creamy. Add in the powdered sugar gradually until desired consistency, add a few tbsp. of cold milk to smooth it out if it is still too thick.
- Use a cupcake piper (you can find some at the dollar store, or put the icing in a zip lock bag, cut off the tip and use that) to pipe the icing on the cupcakes.
Check out this yummy Chai Cupcake with Vanilla recipe! Click To Tweet