It is starting to feel like Fall! It’s been 11 degrees here at night, the leaves are starting to fall. The Canadian Geese are starting to fly south. That means it’s time for Fall ideas to Celebrate Mabon with your Family. This is my FAVOURITE season! Pumpkin and apple everything time! Crisp weather, an excuse to wear my favourite sweaters and scarves. Pumpkin and apple picking. So much to do and celebrate the Autumn Equinox with my family.
See below for Fall ideas to Celebrate Mabon with your Family including activities, crafts & recipe ideas.
Mabon has been called the Pagan Thanksgiving by some traditions. It is the time of year where we celebrate the second harvest festival, the changing of the seasons, and the coming of winter.
A very common story to be read around this time of year is that of Persephone, Hades, & Demeter. Persephone was kidnapped and taken into the underworld by Hades (Lord of the Underworld), her mother Demeter (Goddess of Harvest & Agriculture) refused to let anything grow until her daughter was returned to her. Zeus tried to negotiate Persephone’s return but alas, Persephone had already eaten six pomegranate seeds (another reason to NEVER eat the food offered to you by the fae or in another world! You may get stuck there!). So Zeus bargained that Persephone could come to the earth at Spring time, when Demeter is so happy all the plants bloom and thrive. Then at the Autumn Equinox she returns to the underworld and the flowers and plants die until her return in the Spring.
Other similar holidays around this time:
Mabon is also similar to an ancient Greek festival in the Fall called the Eleusinian Mysteries, also based on the story of Persephone. Harvest Home/ Harvest Festival, Octoberfest, Thanksgiving, Rosh Hashanah, and Michaelmas are also holiday’s celebrated by different cultures and traditions around the world similar to this time. This is also a common time of year for fairs to celebrate the end of summer and harvest of Fall as well.
Ideas to celebrate Mabon with your Family:
- Prepare for Winter, start stocking up on supplies, getting warmer clothes and prepping the house and yard for the end of the year
- Have a Bonfire
- Go Apple picking
- Visit a Pumpkin Patch
- Take a Fall walk
- Drive to see the turning colours of the leaves (try and do two, a before and after drive to really appreciate the changing of the colours)
- Visit a corn maze and have an adventure
- Donate to the local food bank
- Visit your local pagan pride events usually celebrated around Mabon
- Read your tarot cards to see what the next season has in store for you
- Do a ritual celebration solo or with family and friends
- Go on a Fall picnic
- Read autumn books on pumpkins, apples, leaves, etc.
- Visit your local animal refuge (zoo, farm, sanctuary, etc.) and see the animals
- Wear fall colours that correspond with Mabon – brown, green, yellow, orange, & red
- Pickle, freeze, can, dry, bake foods to prepare for the winter
- Take a hay ride or wagon ride
Recipes and food ideas to host a Harvest Feast for Family, Friends, & Neighbours
- Roast nuts and pumpkin seeds
- Bake fresh bread & home-made brushetta to serve on top
- Roasted beets, potatoes & carrots
- Green bean casserole
- Squash dishes
- Scottish Bannocks
- Chili featuring Autumn harvest foods
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
Don’t forget the desserts!! All things apple and pumpkin should be the star of the dish! Pie, squares, cakes, cookies, muffins, scones, turnovers, donuts, and lots more!
What is your favourite Fall dessert? Please comment below and tell me!
There are lots of Fall drinks to enjoy during your feast too, apple juice, apple cider (alcoholic and/or non-alcoholic), pumpkin juice (Harry Potter much??), Fall sangria, pumpkin spiced lattes, and more!
Why not bake some pumpkin muffins and bring them as a treat to share with your neighbours and friends. They need never know they were being offered a harvest treat to celebrate the Autumn Equinox.
Crafts & Activities
- Make a wreath and other decorations for your house and altar
- Nature mural
- Apple candle holders
- Apple crafts – see below for lots of ideas
- Corn crafts – see below
- Fall leaves crafts – see below
- Candle holder – glass jar – tissue papers in the shape of a leaf or real leaves (hope to do this soon stay tuned for my attempts!)
How are you #celebrating #mabon #autumn #fall with your family? Check these ideas out! Click To Tweet
Thank you so much for reading! Please comment below on some of your favourite ways to celebrate Fall with your family, and more importantly, what will you be eating to welcome in Autumn??